Monday, July 20, 2009

Goodbye Grandma Nellie...until we meet again

This past week Mike's grandma Nellie Isom passed away. Her health had been failing for some time, but we still were not prepared to hear of her passing. We immediately made plans to drive to Tennessee to attend her funeral. She was a wonderful lady and we will dearly miss her and cherish the memories we made with her.

We visited her at her home many times and I'm happy that she was able to meet all of our children and that they had the chance to know her.
Here are a few pictures from
our visits with her over the years.


You can tell from some of the pictures that the kids had chocolate on their faces...this is just great reminder that she always had treats for them when we visited.

While at her home for lunch following the funeral, Mike's dad had the girls and I each pick a few things from Grandma Nellie's jewelry box. We will cherish those treasures and the girls now have a special connection with her that they will hopefully be able to pass down to their daughters.

Our trip was for a solemn occasion, but it was wonderful to see much of Mike's family that I had never met or only met a few times. It was wonderful to sit and reminisce about Nellie and her spirit and her generosity and love for all of us. I'm thankful that we were able to make the trip and say goodbye to her, for now.

4 comments:

Tina said...

Funerals really are the worst of times and the best of times . . . . so sorry for the loss, but it is awesome you got to see family!

Jana said...

What great photos of the kids with their Great-Grandma. I am sorry for your loss. Memories are so special.

Bob and Raylene said...

Nice pictorial tribute

Liz King Bradley said...

I loved the pics. Sorry you guys lost a person so close to your hearts. I lost my grandma a few years back and Rob lost his Grandpa last year. Grandparents occupy a REALLY special place in our hearts. Thanks for sharing some of your memories with us!