We had a wonderful Stake Conference on the 6th of June. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles came to our Stake to reorganize our Stake presidency.
When we found out he was coming, we were excited. We started learning about him in family home evening and reading some of his talks and just trying to prepare ourselves and our kids to meet this special witness of Christ.
We decided that we wanted to sit in the chapel so our kids could see him in person and not just on a t.v. monitor. I made all the preparations the night before and Mike got home about 2 in the morning from his trip to Utah (that's another blog post!) Then we woke up early and arrived at the Stake center a little after 7:15 a.m. We were able to get a bench and shared it with our good friends the Vance's. The meeting didn't start until 10, so we kept the kids busy with snacks, books, paper, etc. Isaac even had a conversation with Elder Holland in the bathroom.
When it was getting closer to 10, I took my place on the stand to sing with the choir and left Mike with the kids. The meeting was wonderful, even though there were some issues with the sound. The Spirit was very strong.
The new Stake Presidency was announced and our Bishop was called as the 2nd counselor. So we will be getting a new Bishop in the next few weeks.
After the meeting I waited on the stand as Mike brought the kids up to shake Elder Holland's hand. What a wonderful feeling, to watch your children shake hands with an apostle of the Lord and to feel of his spirit and love. I have to say that I loved meeting him too.
It was such a wonderful day. I felt so spiritually fed. I hope that my children will always remember what they felt. I recorded my personal feelings in my journal, some were just to personal to share on a blog. I know the church is true and I feel so blessed by the opportunities we have to continue to learn and grow and to listen to apostles and prophets speak.
We ended our day by going up to the Temple visitor center and listening to the Mormon Orchestra of D.C. perform their annual children's concert. The music was wonderful, I think the hit of the night was the Star Wars music.
My favorite moment though, was at the end of the concert when they started playing I am a Child of God. I was video taping it and Anna started singing along with the music. (I have tried repeatedly to upload the video and it's just not working, so I'm moving on!)
What a wonderful day!

4 comments:
You and Mike are such awesome parents!!! I was so bummed not to even be able to attend. Truly I couldn't stop thinking about it. While you were standing in line to stake conference, literally we were standing in line to hop on to the "large and spacious building." Two totally different experiences!!!
Thank you for sharig that!!!! YoUr an amazing woman and I feel so blessed having known you! Thank you for still being an example to me. I remember preparing our family to listen to and meet Elder Oaks a few years back. It is an incrediable experience and I too was amazed at the spirit that resides when an apostle of God is in your presence and speaks to you personally! Thank you!
What a neat experience. I know your kids will remember this always. A great testimony builder for sure.
What a blessing in your life!
Post a Comment