Monday, August 8, 2011

New Tradition

This post is quite a bit overdue, but since this blog is basically a family journal of sorts, I wanted to post it anyway.


After the holidays last year we started a new family tradition. We put all the Christmas cards that we received in a basket and each night at family prayer time one of us would choose a card out of the basket and we would talk about who sent it to us and then we would include that person or family in our prayer.

I really enjoyed it and I think that the kids did too. We had some particularly sweet prayers. I liked how it got the kids thinking of others and remembering family and friends.



I look forward to doing it again with the cards we get this year.

13 comments:

Jason and Amy said...

I loved this idea so much when you told me you were doing it. I can't think of a better way to put those cards to use after the season is over.

Tina said...

An awesome idea . . . and I'm glad you are on my Christmas mailing list . . . we could use all the prayers we get!

Karl, Meg, and kids said...

That's a good way to get people to send you Christmas cards. My kids said, "you'd better send them a Christmas card this year!" --fun idea.

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Cool idea. Since I see my card-thanks for the prayer.

teviawall said...

Oh great, does this mean I have to start sending cards again? :) We stopped sending cards to everyone who utilizes the internet since we do a "year in review" video. I suppose we can sneak in your prayer basket by sending you a family picture that says merry christmas or something. hehe. :)

this is a great idea and one i just might try out this year as we are really trying to get our kids to focus less on themselves and more on others. where do you come up with all these great ideas girlfriend?!

Unknown said...

You were in our basket Tev...I guess we were special enough to get your year in review video and a card last year :)
(you can spot your card in the upper left part of the picture, right above my mom and dad's card that shows them as missionaries)

Bob and Raylene said...

This is a remarkable idea. We all need to focus more on others and less on ourselves. That is why you are so special!

J and T plus Three said...

I LOVE this idea!!! I always save the cards that we get and tuck them away with the decorations. One of my favorite parts of getting out the Christmas stuff is taking time to look through all the cards again and read the cute letters that everyone sends. This idea ROCKS!!!

teviawall said...

hmmm. interesting. I honestly don't remember sending cards out last year. I guess I must be hitting that Alzheimer early that runs in my family...

But I am glad I sent you guys one. I guess I'm not such a crummy friend after all. yay!

Andrew said...

I am sending you a card Right Now!

Frances said...

Can you guys be any better!? You are amazing. I better add you to my list so I get one of those prayers!!

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

I love this tradition... we'll "borrow" it!

Jana said...

This is a great idea. I, too, may have to "borrow" it. :)