Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Déjà Zoo!

I feel like I've been here before :)


Last Friday (only 2 weeks after I went with Anna) I went to the National Zoo with Grace and her class.


It was a different kind of day. It was hot and much more crowded. We still had a good time.


We saw some of the same animals, but some different ones too.
The male lion actually gave the kids quite a show. He wasn't out when we first got there, but while we were there they let him out. He walked around a bit, got some water, then he gracefully climbed all the way to the top of the enclosure and let out several nice roars. It was pretty cool!

Grace also really enjoyed the invertebrate house. The sunfish (people kept calling it a star fish) was very cool to watch. It was climbing the wall and you could see all the little suction cups working.

The octopus also made the kids very happy by coming out of the corner and showing off!

But Grace's favorite thing was...you guessed it...the spiders!
And here is the picture you've been waiting for of the elephant going to the bathroom, yes, it's kind of gross...skip past it if you want :)


Lastly, Grace wanted to roll down the hill that Anna rolled down. 


On the bus Grace drew some great pictures. My favorite was the giraffe. Interestingly enough, there are currently no giraffes at the National zoo. When they finish remodeling the elephant paddock they are supposed to bring them  back though.


We had a great day together, but I don't think I need to go back to the zoo for a while :)

7 comments:

Bob and Raylene said...

So you are in zoo overload mode? Good photos again, more than good, outstanding! That is a terrific picture of a giraffe. Keep drawing, Grace. You are becoming an excellent artist.

Tina said...

Clever title lady!

Spiders are great BEHIND glass!

Excellent drawing Grace, you've got your mom's talents!

And seeing these pictures reminded me of the story you told last night about Mike and his getting a job here after you had been to the zoo! So glad you changed your mind and let him work in the area :)

Jason and Amy said...

Sorry Grace...I cannot agree with you on the SPIDERS!!! I HATE them! Ops, I used the "H" word, but that's just how strongly I feel against them. Looks like you and Mom had a great time. Special moments with just you and your Mom are priceless...

Stephanie said...

That's an amazing drawing of a giraffe! Great job! What a fun trip.

LeeAnn said...

Great times, great pics, great drawing Grace!! Have I ever told you the story of the Hogle Zoo and the hippo? It's a poo story too!

Andrew said...

You are a dutiful mother! First of all, nice pictures, second, Grace is amazing - I loved the giraffe she drew, and third, that was a great activity for the cub scout! Thumbs UP!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Grace is an amazing animal. Giraffes are my favorite.