It was a very emotional couple of days, but also really good too.
There was a formal viewing Sunday night at the mortuary. All of the granddaughters and great-granddaughters were given a chance to choose one of grandma's many handkerchiefs to keep. She had so many of them, I'm glad that Grace, Anna and I each get to have one.
It was nice to see so many cousins and family members that I haven't seen in a while. There was a huge turnout, which doesn't surprise me at all...my Grandma touched so many lives for good!
Monday morning was the funeral in Marriott. I was really nervous because I'd been asked to sing. I had practiced the song on my own, but hadn't had an accompanist until this morning and then that wasn't going so well and I was really worried...but then Carol Thomas became my hero and stepped in and played for me. She is simply amazing that she could do that. I wouldn't have been able to get through it without her. But, I did get through it and my prayers were answered and I didn't even lose control of my emotions. I just had to make sure and not look at my mom and dad, or any of my aunts and uncles, or my siblings for that matter. I'm so thankful that I had that opportunity to sing. I love my grandma so much and I'm glad that I could pay special tribute to her through song.
Anyway, after the services we had a luncheon and took a bunch of pictures. Sadly, I don't know if we will have that many family members together ever again. The guy from the mortuary mentioned that we set a record at the funeral for the number of rows they had to rope off for family.
We got some group shots of each of the different families, all of my grandma's children are still living, except one who passed away as a baby.
Our family group shot, I think we are only missing Shell's kids and Jan's husband, Dale.
My family. I love these people so much!
Yep...we are crazy, I think my grandma would smile, she loved our silliness!
That evening we spent some time at the hotel together.
We had a great time and shared some much needed laughter. On the way back to the hotel, I got pulled over for having expired plates...ha ha! Oh boy, that was great since I was driving all my siblings in the Suburban. One more thing we have to take care of.
Anyway, the next day I went and got massages with my mom, my Aunt Georgia, Marcy and Shannon and Shell and Jan. I'm not usually one for massages, but I liked this one. I think we all needed them, especially Jan and my mom. Then we headed to the cemetery for the graveside service. It was short and very sweet. Had last chance to talk to family and take some more pictures and say a last farewell to grandma.
So, like I said, it was an emotional couple of days, but also a celebration of family, love and of one of the most amazing women I'll ever know. I'm so thankful for my knowledge of the gospel and that I know that families are forever.
I love this picture of my grandma with my kids.
She wasn't afraid to participate in a silly face picture :)




1 comment:
So sorry Kieraten. Losing a grandma you are close to is tough. I had the same feeling at my grandmas funeral.....that it may be the last time our family was pulled together. It is the worst of times and the best of times......the funeral.
Post a Comment