Sunday, March 28, 2010

Awesome Orphans

On Friday night our Stake had it's annual Night of the Arts, that I am in charge of. This year the theme we picked was "Salute to Broadway." There was a ton of work that went into it, but when it was all over, it was worth every effort.
Our ward was represented by some of our primary kids. I asked an awesome friend to put together a performance, and we talked about possibilities. We came up with the idea of dividing the kids up and having the boys do "Food, Glorious Food" from Oliver! and the girls do "It's a Hard Knock Life" from Annie. She made an invitation to all the primary kids, and then worked really hard with those who wanted to do it. I, of course, volunteered all 5 of my kids to do it. Nothing like forcing what you love onto your kids, right? The best part was that they had fun doing it and I think they would do it again.
It was also really good for them to see what is involved to make a performance. Watching them really made me miss my days of community theater, I just might have to find a show to audition for... but I must say that I had a blast being an mc for the night and goofing around with my good friend and cohort Tanya!

Anyway, Rebekah did an amazing job with the kids and pulled together such a great performance. (And she did it with only 3 Saturday rehearsals and 1 short Thursday night dress rehearsal.) I was so proud of my kids!

For your viewing purpose I split the video, on that night the girls came out right after the boys and then at the end the boys came back and they all bowed together.

Here are the boys with Food Glorious Food.
Noah and Dallin start out in the back, they both have brown pants and kind of green tops, Isaac is on the far right, in brown pants and a cream top ...unfortunately Mike was too close to the stage and couldn't get everyone in the entire time, so Isaac isn't visible for some of it.


And here are the girls with It's a Hard Knock Life, special appearance by Tiffany as Miss Hannigan!
Grace leads in the front line and Anna is the one in the pink dress, right behind her.

They received a standing ovation ,the only one of the night, when they were done and they sure deserved it! They were awesome orphans!

As a side note, I was also particularly happy with the way the refreshments turned out. I wanted them to coordinate with the Broadway theme so I came up with a play on words idea and made little signs to go with each item. Then I found a wonderful person to head it up and assign out the treats. Thanks JoAnn!
Here's what we had, most of them are self-explanatory, but on some I've added an explanation...

A big bowl of potato chips
Black and white cookies


Big pretzels dipped in chocolate
An empty platter

Brownies with a layer of green mint

Mini lemon-poppyseed Muffins
Sugar Cookies with purple icing

Anyway, just thought I'd share those with you, I had fun working on them.
The night was a success and I'm relieved it's over, but now I have to start thinking about what to do for next year... any suggestions?

13 comments:

Sherri said...

The "orphans" were ADORABLE! Loved the refreshments signs...so CUTE! You're AMAZING Kiersten! Looks like a Great "Broadway" night everyone :)

Robyn said...

Way to go ALL OUT Kiersten. You are so, so amazing in so many ways. Your family, ward, and stake are lucky to have you.

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.!!!

Megan said...

Love the "play" on words for the treats table. We still talk about your green X jello jigglers from our BYU days together!

CarolAnne said...

Wow! What a wonderful evening! Not sure how you will measure up next year, but you will! Now you can breathe...

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

Absolutely adorable! All the kids did such a good job. I'm glad that you have a little time to contemplate Halloween costumes before you start on next year's arts night. Maybe you could do all songs from Pixar movies or country music or 60s stuff - so many choices - so little time.

Mom

Jenée's Blog said...

How CREATIVE!!! -Seriously, Kierston... saying that you are talented, is an understatement.
Your children were naturals on stage. -I wonder where they get that from?? ;-)

andrea said...

Amazing. Seriously. What a great experience. The talent, the creative treats. Way to go, Isoms!

Tina said...

Kiersten, you did a FABULOUS job with the evening!!! Loved you and Tanya, you guys made the show with your hilarious banter! Loved the orphans, they were so well prepared and the choreography was great! Loved the rest of the acts and most especially the goodies afterwards! A JOB WELL DONE!

LeeAnn said...

Totally concure with all the comments above. Fabulously done! You shuld check out the Port Tobacco Players if you want to get back in to theater!

Stephanie said...

You are amazing! The songs were great! I really like the refreshment names.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! It's so great to get positive feedback after putting so much time and effort into something :)

Andrew said...

They couldn't have asked a better person to do this...everything you do is amazing. I still remember your solo in church so long ago, you have an amazing voice. For sure, you are gonna knock their socks off again next year.

Are you heading the stake activities?