Friday, February 5, 2010

Is it nerdy to be a Science Fair winner?

Noah took second place in his category for the whole Middle school.
His project was on the effects of different drinks on our teeth. Here's a closer look at his before, during, and after pictures of each tooth.
This tooth was in water
this one was in apple juice
and this one was in Sprite.
Noah told me that it gave him one more reason to not like apple juice.

Dallin was one of the Grand Prize winners at his Elementary school.
The purpose of his project was to find out which brand of microwave popcorn left the most un-popped kernels. The generic brand left a lot more than the other brands we tried.
The kids had fun eating all the leftover materials too!

It looks like they will both get to advance to the county Science Fair.
So whether you think it's nerdy or not, we are so proud of them.
Good Job Boys!

12 comments:

Margaret said...

I personally have a pro-nerd bias (guess both Jonathan and I fit into this category).

Unknown said...

Oh Margaret I agree with you! I hope all of my kids will be nerds :)

Megan said...

Those are really great ideas!

Robyn said...

I'm a big fan of nerds. Those are awesome projects. Please give me some "mommy" lessons! I think I've told you before, but I would really like to come be a fly on your wall for a few days.

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

Those are great projects! Congrats guys!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

go nerds!

Melanie said...

Great projects! Good job boys and Mom.

Bob and Raylene said...

Not nerdy! You all did a fantastic job. Congratulations on your ribbons.

Kristen said...

I am thinking I better save this link so I can steal the ideas when Lily is older! My favorite part are the titles.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone!
Oh and Kristen it took us some time to come up with titles that we thought described the project while being creative at the same time, so thanks for noticing :)

Andrew said...

I so love your kids. They are smart like their parents!! Way to go!

Jana said...

Science Fairs are very cool in the Dunow family. Bill won Utah's state science fair in high school and Jessica was a middle school regional winner in New Jersey. Way to go, Noah and Dallin!